Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Retorting Third Parties, the Seth Version, Pt. 2

(This was an email reply to some comments made on my initial post. I think it's helpful in fleshing out some of the ideas in the original post.)

I have, in my past, been a stalwart Green Party supporter. I don't have time to go into a detailed explanation, but suffice it to say, I did, however, become very quickly disillusioned with what they were trying to provide. I believe in government, particularly a centralized government that can approach all citizens in a balanced way, and I believe strongly in its ability to help those who are unable to help themselves. As a consequence, any vote for a libertarian candidate is way way way out.

I strongly believe in Obama. I see in him a history that has the potential to craft a great man and I see someone now who is fulfilling that potential. He's reasoned, compassionate, thoughtful, assertive. If I got all of my information from the mass media, my opinion may be different. Fortunately, I do vast quantities of research. Doing research, in fact, is my job and I'm quite good at it. When you tell me that if I research more, I'll come to a different conclusion, you're misguided. I do encourage everyone to do all the research they have the time or inclination for. I wish they'd do much more. We do live in a culture that does not promote individual thought or expression as well as it ought to, and critical thinking as well as self-motivated learning are large parts of what I try to encourage in others.

Nader was a revolutionary presence in the 70's. He helped bring about great and necessary changes that improved our drinking water and improved the safety of our cars, along with countless other endeavors. How did he do that, though? As a lobbyist and activist. His ego has overtaken his reason and he's forgotten how to be truly effective. So it goes, I guess.

No comments: